Thus the ATO has kindly provided all the salaries and wages data (for 12 years), and sole trader data, by fine detailed industry and location. Sole Trader's have 500 industries and employees have 1500 occupations. Australian locations, while requested at postcode level, were provided at a statistical area level (SA4) which splits Australia into 100 regions of similar population. Cities have many zones, while the country has large zones.
See my request for the data here.
The resulting dataset has two tables:
- Sole Traders (100,000 rows) 2014 $96B, 2002 $61B.
- Salary and Wages (200,000 rows) 2014 $584B, 2002 $285B.
A Data Visualisation of the Industries of Sole Traders is available here.
A Data Visualisation of growth by SA4 region is shown below:
|Figure 1: Growth by SA4 region (2006, 2010, 2014). Data|
Several sample reports are now available, including;
- List of Occupations from largest to smallest
- List of Occupations from highest average wage to smallest
- List of Sole Trader industries from highest sales to smallest
- Change in one Industry over time - Hairdressing.